Re: Localized Pages

Calum Benson wrote:

I was thinking that the solution being discussed was one based on the
user's language preferences in the browser, i.e. when the user goes to
www.gnome.org his language preferences are detected in his browser by
the site, and the pages automatically served in his preferred language.

Just as an aside, we had a discussion about doing automatic langauge
detection for websites on the ACM CHI-WEB mailing list a while back-- it
turns out that most people don't like it for various reasons, and would
rather pick their language themselves from the webpage.

Would it be better if also a language selection dropdown-box was added to the front page? I'm just talking about the use of a smart default language; naturally it should still be overridable by the user, for example by a language selection box.

I can probably post a pointer to the archived discussion, if anyone's
interested...

Please do that, I'm interested :-)

Christian