Re: initial structure ideas

My comments are interspersed below.....

I like this much better than www.gtk.org ;-)

> I've already assumed that we are going to throw away the outdated
> freshmeat stuff.

ok

> > I think that everything on this list should be integrated with the GNOME content.
> > As you suggest, if we do this, the anti-gnome sentiment will probably die down
> > if people are introduced to both development environments at once.  You are
> > definitely correct to want to make good use of www.gtk.org, as I am sure that
> > a lot of people go to that when they want information on GTK+.  So, in summary,
> > basically what we should do it have it as an alternate starting point to the
> > gtk/gnome developer documentation, the software map, and then you can maintain
> > the ftp server separately, as you wanted to.  How does this idea sound to you?
> >

> Yes, this sounds like a good path.  What I'd like to do is keep
> things like the GTK+ reference materials under the gtk.org url,
> and the gnome stuff can jump to developer.gnome.org.  But the
> two will be highly integrated.  One site, two entry points.  I
> like it.
>
> -Shawn

I am not quite sure what you mean by keeping the reference manuals for GTK+
on the gtk.org url - they are already on gnome.org, aren't they?  By section,
here are my thoughts:

Origins:
I like this a lot....but I would probably integrate it into the main text of the
website.  It's important.

General:
All of these, except the download link, should link to the appropriate GNOME
page, I think. We could put in anchor tags or something to direct the user
straight to the GTK part of the page if you think that is a better way to go.

Documentation:
This should all point to documentation.gnome.org pages. I think if we want to
push GTK+ and GNOME alongside each other, to encourage users to develop with
GNOME, we need to present a cohesive development platform, with GTK+ as one
of the bases for this.  It will help deliver the message "GTK is great on its
own, but only part of the GNOME framework."  I really think how we handle the
developer documentation is really key to helping to promote GNOME.

Projects:
I don't know if people like my idea of projects.gnome.org, but I do. ;-) I think
that these should link to the appropriate pages in that subdomain.  Except maybe
the win32 and BeOS ports...I don't know how much of a push there is to port
other pieces of GNOME to these platforms, so it might be best to leave them
under the auspices of the gtk.org domain.

Applications:
I like this quick reference to the domains of big gtk/gnome apps.  We would
probably want to add Evolution and Nautilus to this list, as they are pretty
big applications.  The link to GNOME Software Map is a good idea as well.

GTK+ 1.2:
I would think that this can be integrated with the GNOME developer.gnome.org
pages.  The "Upgrading Applications" link reminds me that we need to have solid
information on how developers can move their applications between GNOME platform
versions (1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 2.0)....Since GTK+ accounts for a lot of these changes
(especially for GNOME 2), this should be nicely integrated.  I don't know about
the annoucements though....it's up to you whether gtk.org should control
announcements, or gnome.org should do it.

How does this all sound?
I like how you present the navigation....it is very easy to scan.  In redoing
gnome.org, we should remember to keep navigation clean like this.

    --Ryan