Re: Localization Structure Model

Bill Schroeder wrote:

Do you do translations? I do, and my opinion is that text files are
_way_ easier. Just a couple of reasons:

no, i don't do translations. however, i just seemed to me that teaching you average translator (your average translator isn't a computer person) to copy text to their favorite editor and paste the translation back to their into a form field is a heck of alot easier than teaching them to use cvs.

I think that assuming that "the average translator" shouldn't be a computer person is a big mistake. At least that's not true in the GNOME project (and as far as I know, not in translation businesses either). An analogy would be the assumption that a software QA person isn't a computer person just because his main duty isn't actual programming, an assumption that of course also seldom is true.

In my experience, people translating software tend to be "computer persons", albeit with a linguistic preference or an interest in their mother tongue (or interest in localization issues), rather than some person with linguistic interests ending up doing technical work.

And as all GNOME translators have to learn to use cvs to translate software anyway, I think that is not an important argument. Rather than "having to teach them" it is more a question of letting the 40 existing teams of language translators use the tool they're used to and comfortable with and have already spent time learning.

Those new to the translating process need, as always, only contact one in their respective language team to have them commit their work for them.

* Translations can be used and updated from gnome cvs (with
   all advantages of cvs like versioning)

versioning is a simple thing to implement with a db and we seem to have alot of db experience with a variety of databases on this list.

Can't argue with that, but why re-invent the wheel?

* Existing gettext tools can be used (if that solution
   is chosen)
* Just a simple text editor is enough to do translations
   (or would YOU like to be forced to do your coding in a
   form field in a browser all the time?)

no, i wouldn't do programing in a browser at all. i learned a long time ago that copy, edit, paste is a much simpler solution. it has all the same steps as downloading the current version from cvs, edit, sync to cvs...

And using an ordinary text editor of choice is even simpler.
Besides, I don't trust copy/paste of browsers; Netscape (and Mozilla too) have historically been notoriously buggy in that respect.

Christian

Christian Rose
http://www.menthos.com                    	    menthos menthos com