Re: Navigation Proposal

> Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I like this. I'm a little worried about "Press", "News" and "Download" not
> > being top-level, but I guess they're prime candidates for "quick links". Hm.
> > Not bad at all. I have a better gut feeling about this structure than my
> > proposal, but I'd like to think about it a little to see if it can be
> > improved further.
>
> This is quite a bit closer to a purely topical heirarchy,
> with action items (verbs) relegated to leaf nodes (except
> for quick links/in-line links). I would suggest further
> modifying the heirarchy by:
>
> - Moving the roadmap under the 'About' category

Why?  It seems like the roadmap would be for the community.

> - Creating 'GTK' and 'Gnome Desktop' sub headings under
> 'Software'

I think part of the point is that we want to integrate GTK stuff with
GNOME stuff, not separate them out.  We want to push the GNOME platform.

> - Moving the 'Development' category under 'Software'

This is definitely wrong.....people look for Development information.
There is a lot of it.  It should be in a section by itself.

> - Moving 'Projects' under either 'Software' or 'Community'

Projects are pretty big by themselves.....they should have their own section.

> This would leave us with four top level categories of
> content:
>
> * About GNOME
>
> * GNOME Community
>
> * GNOME Foundation
>
> * GNOME Software
>
> Which should be all encompassing, and fairly clear as to
> where to look to find what you want. With only four top
> level categories, these can be represented by a row of
> buttons across the top, and second and third level
> navigation can be accomplished with a right- or left-handed
> vertical bar.

I agree with Joakim here - this is too much simplification.  We want to be able
to get at information without too many clicks.  I cut down from the initial
10 because that seemed like too many categories, and it wasn't easy to quickly
understand.  With too few categories, you run into the same problem.

    --Ryan