Re: 2. Audience (was Re: Design document [Draft 1])

> Again, I'd like to stress my belief that the website should feel
> like it is for desktop users and developers, not for press and
> big business.  I agree that it is important information and a very
> important group of people, but GNOME's *image* is more important.

I completely agree

> I suggest Press things be categorized under "Contact Us".  Perhaps
> on that page, have a link to the "Press Kit" pages.  This will not
> be too hard to find for the press.  The other portion, a overview
> of what GNOME is, should be on the homepage.  I suggest that someone
> could start writing some nice text for GNOME's front page which is
> interesting and pulls you into various areas of the project.

This sounds like a good idea to me

> I am curious what specific things are targetted at Businesses and
> not just large groups of users (like Universities).

I think the intention was to get businesses looking at the foundation.
I guess that this could fit under "contact us" - but we should aim for
clarity whenever possible.

> I suggest the following top level navigation:
>
> |               | The Desktop | Download | Development | News | Contact Us |
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | (Contents Bar)|
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> | .....         |
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |                              Webmaster | Legal
>
> Here is what would go in each section:
>
>   The Desktop - All information for the User and non-coding Contributor (www.gnome.org)
>   Download - Information on downloading GNOME and GNOME Applications (www.gnome.org/download/)
>   Development - For the developer (developer.gnome.org)
>   News - News about GNOME (news.gnome.org)
>   Contact Us - All contact info, press kit, etc. (www.gnome.org/contact_us/)

what about a "Projects" subheading?  This might be useful to point to
sub-groups, like Documentation, Translation, UI, Sound, etc.

The benefit of a "projects" section would be that my "projects of the week"
idea would fall nicely under that category. (wording would have to change
though...)

    --Ryan