Re: VFS integration with kernel mounts

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:16 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> I think HAL should be able to return to us UUIDs which would be valid
> between machines.

Correct (the UID is composed from a number of sources including
filesystem UUID/filesystem label and, if the media is not removable,
also make/model/serialnumber of the enclosing drive).

> Which is interesting, as it means uris such as these
> could be saved in shortcuts or recent files.

Or the URI could be passed over the network / saved to a shared
resource. For example, one crazy idea is that my bookmarks are shared
among all my systems (via an Online Desktop thing) and one of the
bookmarks just happens to be to my private journal which is kept in an
encrypted file system on a personal USB stick that I carry around in my
pocket. For example "media-4815162342://My triumphs, My mistakes.odp".

(This also means that a number of details _might_ need to be kept
encoded in the URI for files originating from removable media so we can
put up a sensible request asking the user to insert the key. But now I'm
getting ahead of myself..)

      David