Re: VFS integration with kernel mounts

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 22:34 -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> What about auto mounting things such as USB devices? Are we going to
> have an abstraction around those, where you could refer to device by
> uuid or something?
>
> `uuid-of-device://path/to/file`

This uuid could be private to GVFS and there would be a lookaside table

 uuid -> {USB_STICK, "Sandisk", "Cruzer Micro", 4GB, "Raptor",
          FALSE /* is removable */,
          "/org/freedesktop/Hal/device/volume_uuid_1234"}

allowing you to put up dialogs such as

 | The application Frobnicator is trying to access a file on a  |
 | device that is not available right now. To continue please   |
 | attach the device                                            |
 |                                                              |
 |       <logo> 4GB file system labeled "Raptor"                |
 |              Sandisk Cruzer Micro (in small grey font)       |
 |                                          [Cancel] [Continue] |
 (for removable media it would say "insert the media" rather than
  "attach the device")

This should be a piece of cake to do (assuming HAL) and if people think
it's a good idea (I'm not entirely convinced it is) I'd be happy to take
a stab at it when GVFS is ready for this. Alex?

     David