Re: VFS integration with kernel mounts

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 12:43 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> Rather than propagating an I/O errors to apps using the stick at the
> time of removal, it could tell the user to reinsert the stick and
> continue where it left off.

Surely brings back memories from the Amiga ("You MUST replace the disk
in drive df0:/").. However, this is practically impossible to do when
using a file system kernel driver (various device mapper tricks aside).
I guess you could do this by using a user space FAT file system driver
though.

(Btw, such a user space driver wouldn't be a bad thing at all; it can
run in a very confined security context such that flaws / buffer
overflows in said file system driver wouldn't turn into local root
exploits. So security-sensitive sites would only allow using this driver
for externally attached media/drives. But now I'm drifting off-topic..)

      David