Re: adding new info to GnomeVFSFileInfo

Hi Christophe,

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 09:20, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> I thought a little more to that, and I'm really not comfortable with the
> way user can prevent gnome_vfs_get_file_info from doing expensive work
> when it's not needed.

	Why ? ;-) it's obviously the best thing to do.

>  Currently, the GnomeVFSFileInfoOptions parameter
> seems to have been made with the file method in mind where the whole
> info struct can be filled with only two expensive operations: one call
> to stat and another expensive operation to get the mime type.

	Hmm - 'access' is a 'stat-like' operation I believe, either way - on a
slow / remote nfs mounted file-system [ still using file-method ], it's
extremely worthwhile to be able to reduce the round-tripping to a
minimum. I believe each access call is a roundtrip - but could be wrong.

> But on remote file systems, each field of the GnomeVfsFileInfo struct
> can be expensive to fill, so an additional parameter to
> gnome_vfs_get_file_info of type GnomeVFSFileInfoFields to indicate which
> fields we are interested in would be much more logical imo.

	Yes; that's prolly what I was trying to say ;-)

> Anyway, I don't see how that can be changed now, so I'll just add a new
> flag to GnomeVFSFileOptions (unless I should use
> GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_GET_MIME_TYPE ? but I think this will be confusing,
> adding a GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_GET_ACCESS_RIGHTS is probably better)

	Yep; adding GET_ACCESS_RIGHTS is prolly best.

	Regards,

		Michael.