Re: adding new info to GnomeVFSFileInfo

Hi Christophe,

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 23:16, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> >        if (options & GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_GET_MIME_TYPE)
> >
> > 	So we avoid doing 3 (potential synchronous network round-trip) access
> > calls, per operation.
>
> I don't understand exactly what this flag is for. Is it used to indicate
> that an app wants "extended" info about a file ?

	The idea is that you don't want to do expensive sys-calls for
information you don't need. Doing 'just' 3 accesses per stat call is not
acceptable if the results are not going to be used at all. Thus it must
be masked by such an options guard.

> Atm it is not used, but two app developpers more or less complained
> about that (gedit to check if a file is read only, and rhythmbox because
> it couldn't test if a directory is readable before adding it to its
> library). So I think it looks like something worth adding.

	Fine.

> > 	If you add an options mask / guard around those ops, it looks fine to
> > commit to me.
>
> I'm a little concerned about the way I extended the enum starting after
> bit 16. Is it possible that some C compiler pack the old enum in a word,
> and will have to use a 32bit int instead, thus breaking abi compat ?

	AFAIR an enum is of type 'int', and platforms with a 16bit int are not
supported by Gnome, so - this shouldn't be a concern I think. The guard
is crucial though.

	Regards,

		Michael.