Re: Wastebasket woes

Quoting Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com>:
On 26/08/10 16:40, Karl Lattimer wrote:
On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 15:51 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:
So it hardly applies to en_GB :)
others in the company - most people these days learn American English,
not British English.

I'd really dispute that - AE is forced onto people thanks to the (current) "largeness" of American culture, but the majority of people (Europe, China, India) learn an English that is closer to English (I refuse to call it British English - English is the language spoken by the English people, by definition).

In terms of what do we call the wastebasket. The original problem with Ubuntu is pretty much how they do their AE->English translation. Unlike the upstream projects, Ubuntu have a "non-American English" team, which tries to mangle Canadian, Australian, Asian and English together, often leaving them with some clunky workings. "Deleted Items" instead of Wastebasket was one of these choices.

I personally don't care what's its called as I always disable it (and I wish nautilus made it easier to disable). But in terms of a good user interface, we should be consistent: the term should be the same with vanilla Gnome, Ubuntu, Fedora, even with KDE.

The other problem is that the US equivalent (trashcan) can be used as the verb "to trash" which has no direct equivalent in English ("to rubbish" is subtly different). So phrases like "trashed on" (i.e. the date something was moved to the wastebasket) need some thinking about, e.g. "deleted on" or "marked deleted on". This reminds me of the old "ellipsisize" problems again!

To sum up: called it what you will, wastebasket, wastebin, rubbish bin, deleted items, sh*tehole (my personal favourite); just keep it consistent across environments, avoid obvious Americanisms and the translators will need to do some worked around where "trash" is used as a verb.