Re: Wastebasket woes

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 14:21 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 14:02 +0100, Bruce Cowan wrote:
> > Well, it's that time of year again when the translations start up.
> >
> > The Ubuntu team have decided for themselves that they are going to use
> > the term "rubbish bin" instead of "wastebasket" in their en_GB
> > translations[0]. No matter what you may feel about downstream taking
> > this decision, I suggest that the term in GNOME should also be changed
> > to "rubbish bin".
>
> I believe we already had that discussion, and "rubbish" is far to
> colloquial for my liking anyway.

I'm sorry, it seems to be a problem that won't go away (maybe it's just
me that won't stop going on about it). Anyway, I would agree that
rubbish has negative connotations that I'd rather avoid.

> > For starters, one of the new strings in Nautilus is "Trashed on". The
> > snag with the word "Wastebasket" is that you'd have to reword that to
> > "Moved to wastebasket on", which is rather long winded; whereas it could
> > be "Binned on" with the new term. It would also be less confusing if all
> > distros used the same terminology.
> >
> > Thoughts, comments and complaints are welcome of course.
>
> I don't even understand what "Moved to wastebasket on" is supposed to
> be. I'm guessing a date comes after it.

Yes, that is the case.

> Who's on for a recycling bin? Then we could have "Recycled on".

Personally, I thought that "bin" was good enough.
--
Bruce Cowan <bruce bcowan me uk>