Re: Wastebasket woes

On 26/08/10 14:31, Karl Lattimer wrote:
On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 14:21 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
I believe we already had that discussion, and "rubbish" is far to
colloquial for my liking anyway.

Exactly how can rubbish be far too colloquial? Rubbish *is* the usually
used written term in English _as well as_ the usual spoken term. The
terms, recycling bin, wastebasket and trash are scarcely if ever used in
English.

Furthermore it is not marked in any of my dictionaries as "colloq" and
is in common usage in literature.

I have to say, I think it depends how much American you're subjected to :) - I don't feel altogether uncomfortable with "garbage", "trash", etc, because in my company nearly everyone uses it and sometimes I do have to explain the difference, but I would never use those myself.

I personally use "rubbish" quite often at home and I know a lot of people (friends and family) that do too. "wastebasket" seems ok to me too, but I would *never* use it in speech or a written letter, so less fitting. Plus "recycling" is a derivitive form of "rubbish" in my mind, it doesn't apply to all "rubbish".

Just my 2 pence ;)

--
Regards,
Martyn