Re: BBC Weather Applet?

On 18 Dec 2007, at 11:24, Bastien Nocera wrote:

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:15 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
I know we talked about screen scraping from the BBC weather website on this list before and that's obviously a suboptimal solution. However,
now that there are RSS feeds available from bbc.co.uk/weather, does
anyone know of any panel applet that uses them? Is it possible to
persuade the standard weather panel applet to read them?

Is there a standard for weather over RSS? Or could it be that we could
push for the bbc format to be ratified as a pseudo standard?

It would be far better to extend weather over RSS to a world wide
standard solution then make it a part of gnome weather applet etc... I
think locking it down to just the bbc and just the UK (or however far
the bbc weather extends).

I tried getting the widget out of the page, but it seems that it's not
exported yet. Hopefully it will be in the future, as I want to see the
weather for Guildford, not Gatwick or Heathrow ;)

The RSS feed is pretty unusable (you'd need to parse/hack the data from
it), let's hope for a separate widget soon, so I can embed it in my
netvibes page.

Just filled out the satisfaction survey on the site and hinted at us adding it into GNOME. maybe when they read it they'll help us out :)

K,