Re: BBC Weather Applet?

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:15 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > I know we talked about screen scraping from the BBC weather website on
> > this list before and that's obviously a suboptimal solution. However,
> > now that there are RSS feeds available from bbc.co.uk/weather, does
> > anyone know of any panel applet that uses them? Is it possible to
> > persuade the standard weather panel applet to read them?
>
> Is there a standard for weather over RSS? Or could it be that we could
> push for the bbc format to be ratified as a pseudo standard?
>
> It would be far better to extend weather over RSS to a world wide
> standard solution then make it a part of gnome weather applet etc... I
> think locking it down to just the bbc and just the UK (or however far
> the bbc weather extends).

I tried getting the widget out of the page, but it seems that it's not
exported yet. Hopefully it will be in the future, as I want to see the
weather for Guildford, not Gatwick or Heathrow ;)

The RSS feed is pretty unusable (you'd need to parse/hack the data from
it), let's hope for a separate widget soon, so I can embed it in my
netvibes page.