Re: Ideas Linux World Expo 2007

Aidan Delaney wrote:
Michael,
On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 19:16 +0100, Michael Wood wrote:
One of the ideas I think would be good is to create a GNOME vs/comparison poster with other desktop environments (ie. KDE) as we always get asked what is the difference between GNOME and KDE and why choose one of the other.
I'd be more interested in establishing workflows.  Answering questions
such as
1) I have a digital camera, how does GNOME help me? (we can answer this
one easily)
2) How does GNOME allow me to communicate and share with my friends who
may be running GNOME, KDE, Windows or OSX?

And maybe even more business level ideas.
a) How does GNOME help my SOHO?  (Alex I'm looking at bongo-project :)
b) How does GNOME integrate with our corporate business
intelligence/email/active directory solution?

I think answering these questions for "customers" would be more
constructive than answering more development centric questions such as
"What is GTK+?".

--
Aidan

I like these ideas; work flows and a freedom wall too.

The GTK+ comparison might have been a bad example although it is a big
difference - if a customer wants the option of using proprietary code in
their app they would have to purchase a licence from Trolltech to be
able to link to the QT libraries where as with GTK you don't have to do
that, for some companies they may want the things that Trolltech offer
with a licensed QT.

But I do think that we should differentiate between other free desktops
for example, i don't think it's stirring mud to say that KDE focuses on
very high configurabilty where as in GNOME we focus on reducing the
amount of configuration needed. Different philosophies different
situations different product.

Michael

*sent 24/08/07 forgot to cc in the mailing list!

--
/\/\ichael [ email michaelwood me uk  ]
  \/\/ood  [ http://michaelwood.me.uk ]