Re: New member

Hello,

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 16:45 +0200, Martin Lettner wrote:
> Instead of creating a new engine we should focus on the 2 major
> engines, clearlooks and murrine and maybe drop all the other old
> bad-looking engines.

I do not agree with this. Yes, the other engines are "second class" but
I really like the idea of having a variety of unique themes. I do think
that there is a place for eg. Crux and Industrial in the future and that
it is a good idea to also ship eg. a pink theme.
By having a diverse set of themes most people will be able to find one
that works well for them. At the same time we can show that a lot is
possible and hopefully people will enjoy browsing the themes.

> And someone finally should support the active developer who made
> clearlooks and murrine that powerful and beautiful: Cimi.

Yes, Andrea has done some great work, but as everyone else he is
standing on the shoulders of giants. ;-)

> These 2 engines offer enough to create wonderful clean themes. The
> RGBA thing, which IS working, should be default for 3.0. Then we would
> have nice unobtrusive transparency effects on all gtk windows.
> Please someone look into getting those gtk-engines into the next
> level. They already have so many features and only some themes are
> using them. The RGBA-update would totally fit the 3.0 plans I think.

There are some rather intrusive plans for GTK+ 3.0. This will require a
lot of work, but if done right will bring the current theming system to
the next level. However we will need a lot of *coding* help on this
area. [1]

> If there would be a really simple theme modifying tool, [...]

gnome-color-chooser is a step in this direction.

> [...], users could easily make some changes to the theme. I think
> about having a light and a dark default theme, just 2 perfect, totally
> bug free themes. They are let's say blue by default, but since there
> is a totally simple way of changing the main color of the theme the
> user just picks let's say a nice green (preconfigured values for blue,
> red, green, pink, violet, yellow,... maybe the tango colors; BTW:
> whats up with the color-scheme-chooser?). As easy of changing the main
> color, there could be a few options for paddings and icon sizes, just
> thin/normal/wide, small/normal or something. So you could build your
> theme with a few clicks, and because of a clean coded theme and just
> some global settings the individual theme would look perfect in every
> application. Also the used engine could be changed from here since the
> same settings should work on clearlooks, inverted and murrine.
> If somebody likes that idea I can make mockups for that. All of that
> is really easy to implement since everything is already there...

I think that as a first step would should simply add support to ship
colour schemes with themes. This would enable us to easily ship a dark
theme for GNOME. Then I would like to add a smaller and larger version
of Clearlooks to the default set of themes. [2]
In the long run resolution independence and support for a scaling factor
would be what I want instead, but that requires changes in GTK+ that may
only be ready for GTK+ 3.0.

> Hmm I would also like to help out with any work on gnome (ideas,
> website,....) since I have quiet some experience, study
> mediatechnology and mediadesign and I really love gnome!

Great to hear!

Benjamin

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GTK+/NewThemeApi
[2] Small for low resolution screens, large for high resolution screens
or older people that may not have such a good sight and/or have a harder
time controlling the mouse.