Re: Fwd: Universal Access icon

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 08:47 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:

> Also (and this isn't really a documentation-related thing), isn't the
> wheelchair insignia universally recognized for this?  Is it
> really a good idea to switch to something that doesn't have
> a clear link to accessibility?

The wheelchair is a commonly-used symbol, but AIUI it's not all that
popular within some parts of the accessibility community itself, where
it's considered to symbolise mobility impairments only.

(I guess Apple saw it the same way, they also use the 'universal man' as
their Universal Access symbol-- a term that we might want to consider
adopting ourselves.)

Cheeri,
Calum.