Re: Fwd: Universal Access icon

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 00:02 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mercredi 03 septembre 2008, à 17:16 -0400, William Jon McCann a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to request a UI freeze break for a beautiful new icon that
> > Andreas and Jakub have worked on.
> >
> > I think the most recent version is:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-themes-list/2008-September/msg00002.html
> >
> > Andreas needs to leave early tomorrow and will be away until Monday,
> > so ideally we'd get approval for this right away.
>
> If the doc team is fine with the change, approval 1 out of 2.

The current icon is in SVN for the Accessiblity Guide, but the
place where it once was included in the XML is commented out.
I'm not sure what the status is.  Vincent Alexander has been
doing a lot of work on the AG.  I've CC'd him.

Vincent, how are things with the AG?  Is the version in trunk
suitable for 2.24.0?  The deadline is September 22.  Will you
be reusing any of the commented-out material in mobility.xml?
If not, we should remove it, as it wastes space.  We always
have SVN history.  More importantly (for this email), will
you be using the accessx.png icon that's currently in SVN?

I don't see a huge problem with this change. although I'm
just a bit concerned that a common icon like this will have
been included in other screenshots I'm not aware of.  The
icon in the AG is just the icon, not the icon embedded in
a screenshot.  This means it would be easy for us to swap
the new icon in.

Questions: Would this icon be used everywhere I currently
see the current square-with-wheelchair icon, or do we have
tools including their own version or something?  Also (and
this isn't really a documentation-related thing), isn't the
wheelchair insignia universally recognized for this?  Is it
really a good idea to switch to something that doesn't have
a clear link to accessibility?

--
Shaun