Re: Moving towards actually using icon-naming-spec names

On 2/13/07, Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:

I did. But gnome-menus is not the specification. Because it is doing
something, doesn't make it correct.

But the fact that the very first implementation gets it wrong might give
you a hint that the spec could do with some clarification...

Is Preferences->System another Fedora thing? Or does it only exist if
you have gnome-system-tools installed, or something? If the latter, the
items in gnome-system-tools obviously fall under the "system settings"
distinction, and thus are appropriately under the category which is
using the preferences-system icon.

No. Actually, it is a novell thing, or at least a "new control-center
shell" thing.
It is the "System" category in the control-center shell. and has thus been
justified by tons of usability testing...

> Well, it is not as if there was no Documentation category in the menu spec...

There is no Documentation "Main Category" in the spec. It is an
"Additional Category" which must be accompanied by a Main Category. Not
that I have any idea why it's there in the first place. The description
is "help or documentation." I guess someone never learned to not use the
word they're defining, in the definition.

Is it really so hard to understand that it may be useful to make documentation
available via the menu ? Anyway, no need to discuss this point
further, we can easily make up our own icon names.