Re: Moving towards actually using icon-naming-spec names

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 12:39 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I don't see much progress with moving towards actual use of the icon naming spec
> yet. Bug 396994 has a patch to make the .directory files in gnome-menus use
> spec-compliant names where applicable. I think we should do that for 2.18.
>
> While doing the patch, I noticed that the icon naming spec does not list
> preferences

This is what "preferences-desktop" is for. At least, based on the
current organization of things in GNOME.

> applications

What is an "application"? Everything is. If things are showing up under
an "Applications" menu, then we have a problem elsewhere. These items
should be under "Other", and not "Applications".

> settings (for the Administration menu)

This is what "preferences-system" is for.

> documentation

Where does "documentation" appear in the menu system at all? And what,
if anything, appears under it? We already have "Help" on the menu, and
it gets the "help-browser" icon.

> as standard categories. Maybe preferences and applications are implied by
> the fallback-to-generic names scheme in the spec, but they should probably
> be listed explicitly, since e.g. the gnome icon theme is missing them.

They are not implied by the fallback, nor should they be listed
explicitly.

-- dobey