Re: Moving towards actually using icon-naming-spec names

On 2/12/07, Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com> wrote:

Reality follows this fine. The names were based on existing
implementations, and the goal of separating system and user preferences.
Trying to differentiate them by using synonyms doesn't make sense. In
the end "preferences" and "settings" mean the same thing to the user. In
GNOME the distinction that is attempted, is that of requiring root or
not, which from a usability perspective, is a horrible distinction to
try and make.

You didn't address my point that gnome-menus is using preferences-desktop
and preferences-system for something else.

> > > documentation
> >
> > Where does "documentation" appear in the menu system at all? And what,
> > if anything, appears under it? We already have "Help" on the menu, and
> > it gets the "help-browser" icon.
>
> We have a Documentation submenu below Preferences and Administration
> in RHEL. It shows, well, documentation.

RHEL != { GNOME, KDE }. We have a documentation browsing system already.
Both desktops have documentation systems already. And they are both
opened via the "Help" item in the main menu. The spec is based on that
fact. If RHEL is going to add custom menus to their menu system, then
the can try to come up with icons in their own themes to satisfy their
needs. The spec is not meant to provide icons for RHEL, SUSE, Gentoo, or
whatever other favorite distribution anyone wants icons for.

Well, it is not as if there was no Documentation category in the menu spec...