Generic application icons [was Re: Application specific HC icons how?]

Il giorno mer, 13/12/2006 alle 15.35 +0000, Calum Benson ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 09:26 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 13:30 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > > There's also the question of what happens if two applications want to
> > > install HC icons with the same name (which may or may not look the
> > > same).  I guess we already have that problem with the hicolor theme,
> > > though, and it probably just needs a 'best practice' guideline, if there
> > > isn't one already.
> >
> > There can not be two executables in the same $bindir with the same
> > name. Applications should not install icons to the system theme, that
> > are not the application icon.
>
> Yep, my bad, I was thinking about the generic icons like
> "accessories-calculator", an application icon that several different
> calculator apps might feel they have a right to install.  But actually
> none of them should install it, I suppose.

About this, could you please take a look at

 * http://bugs.gnome.org/357413 (Revising Icon standard in EOG)
 * http://bugs.gnome.org/383348 (Update image-viewer to Tango style)

The issue is: the application icon used by EOG is old-stylish, 'cause
gnome-icon-theme provides "image-viewer" with outdated (non Tango) style
and eog don't provide "eog" named icon.

EOG maintainer prefers update the icon in g-i-t.

The solution is:
 a) update "image-viewer"
 b) deprecate "image-viewer" and use "eog"

???