Re: Application specific HC icons how?

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 14:11 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 11:06 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
>
> > I had wanted to get this into the icon theme specification, but never
> > finished it. Basically we never decided on where the guidelines on
> > drawing high contrast icons should go. See the mailing list archive for
> > more info
> > <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-November/007562.html>.
> >
> > It would be great if we could resurrect this, and start moving high
> > contrast application icons out of the icon theme.
>
> Yeah, I had this on my list of cages to rattle before Christmas,
> although I don't know if I'll get to it.
>
> IIRC, the only major objection was that during the transition, newer
> versions of gnome-themes wouldn't contain the HC icons for older
> versions of an application (i.e. before the application had begun
> installing them itself), so we'd have to figure out how to handle those
> kinds of dependencies.

IMO it's no different than when that application uses new API in a newer
version of a library. For instance, applications requiring GTK+ 2.10
aren't going to run on GTK+ 2.8. If people are going to upgrade the
core theme for the desktop, they should upgrade the rest of the desktop
as well, generally. Otherwise, yeah, there could be breakage.

-- dobey