Re: Named icons for epiphany: how to choose?

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 11:09 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> I'm working on http://bugs.gnome.org/348350 : switch custom Epiphany
> icons to Tango style and to named icons. I've a doubt about names for
> named icons.
>
> Currently Epiphany is using "epiphany-download", "epiphany-history",
> "epiphany-popup-hidden" and so on.
>
> Because I'm following the Rodney suggestion to install those icons in
> don't need the epiphany- prefix anymore. So I think we could install
> them as
>
>         Name		Role		Notes
>         download	actions		used in menu and for download window

This needs to be reviewed. Download and Save are essentially the same
action. Download just becomes "Save a Copy". I don't see any reason to
have a separate "download" icon.

>         popup-hidden	status

I suppose this is ok. I wish epiphany would actually hide all of the
pop-ups though, unless explicitly opened via my clicking.

>         history		apps
>         bookmarks	apps

Neither of these are apps. They are abstract concepts explicit to the
browser internals. I don't see why there should be separate entries for
them in the system programs menu. I don't think they really need icons
either.

>         entry		(???)		to add entry widget to toolbar

I think this needs to be resolved through the HIG. We have some apps
that have editable toolbars, some that don't, some that let you drag
the bars around, and all that. Clearly there needs to be some work
done on cleaning this up and making things more strictly consistent. I
don't think "entry" is a good name either. It's not a generic entry
widget. It's called the "location entry" or "location bar" in most
apps. But again, I don't think it's something that needs an icon.

-- dobey