Re: Named icons for epiphany: how to choose?

Il giorno gio, 07/12/2006 alle 11.19 -0500, Rodney Dawes ha scritto:
> On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 11:09 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> >
> >         Name		Role		Notes
> >         download	actions		used in menu and for download window
>
> This needs to be reviewed. Download and Save are essentially the same
> action. Download just becomes "Save a Copy". I don't see any reason to
> have a separate "download" icon.

Just a moment. We have two kinds of "download" in Epiphany.

The fist is the action, used in context menu for links and in a
confirmation alert for unknown files (action: directly download the link
in $DOWNLOADS directory without selecting destination or name). The
second is the status (or the emblem) for the download progress dialog,
using the icon as window icon and in tray area.

About the "save a copy", you should ask to Ephy developers, I'm only
refreshing current icons.

So, 'cause Icon Naming Spec defines a "emblem-downloads" for folder with
downloaded stuff, could Ephy use it for progress dialog (window icon and
tray icon) at least? IMHO is a good idea, helping user to create a
mental link between the folder and the progress dialog (same icon, so
same location).

BTW can I upload the download icon I made for Ephy (see attachment for
preview) in gnome-icon-theme as emblem-downloads? Or a globe with a down
arrow starting from it is a better emblem?

> >         history		apps
> >         bookmarks	apps
>
> Neither of these are apps. They are abstract concepts explicit to the
> browser internals. I don't see why there should be separate entries for
> them in the system programs menu. I don't think they really need icons
> either.

The bookmark launcher is yet in Applications->Internet. Are you
suggesting to remove it? We have to open a bug and ask to developers.

About the "internal" use of those icons (button/menu entry to open the
bookmarks/history window, window icon for bookmarks/history window),
yes, maybe they could be moved to actions. Suggested names (Actions
context):

  bookmarks-view
  view-bookmarks
  view-bookmarks-web
  web-bookmarks
  open-bookmarks
  open-bookmarks-web

The -web- is just to distinguish from filesystem related bookmarks and
history.

> >         entry		(???)		to add entry widget to toolbar
>
> I think this needs to be resolved through the HIG. We have some apps
> that have editable toolbars, some that don't, some that let you drag
> the bars around, and all that. Clearly there needs to be some work
> done on cleaning this up and making things more strictly consistent. I
> don't think "entry" is a good name either. It's not a generic entry
> widget. It's called the "location entry" or "location bar" in most
> apps. But again, I don't think it's something that needs an icon.

Maybe we should resolve it on GTK+ level, asking to provide icons for
non-button toolbar items (entry, separators, comboboxes...).

By now, 'cause all toolbar items in Epiphany toolbar editor have an
icon, IMHO we should provide for location entry too. "location-entry"
seems good to me.