Re: Dev-cdrom-* icons

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 12:13, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 11:01, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > What about shadow?
>
> Similar to my comments to the paper sheet, the shadow looks quite odd.

Yes, you can't vertically place a CD in the real world, but:
      * a Desktop environment is not the real world: just mimes it, but
        it's not forced to follow all rules.
      * hey, it's GNOME: it must have a little kind of magic :-)
      * imagine the cd icon nead the... mmhh.. boxed hard disk on your
        website (see attach) or current default trash: both are objects
        placed on desktop, but shadows suggest a 'space's deformation',
        as well as you are near a black hole... this is odd to IMHO

Personally I like it: it's witty, it's fresh, it suggests you are
clicking on an object.

> The stroke is way to thick and blurry too. I know it's tough to do in
> GIMP, but try this:
>
> Create a circular selection of the outer border. Fill with black. Create
> a new selection, 1px smaller in diameter. Now cut _twice_.

hemmm... 2px in diameter, or 1px in ray, I hope...

> It's necersary to create a new selection and not shrink it. Cutting it
> twice will make the border more crisp.

Yeah, better. Many thanks. I'll apply to button emblems too: actually
I'm using a simple filled black circle in bottom level and a colored
filled smaller circle in top level.

--
Think bigger

			My uncle