Re: Status on improving the icon theme

> > As for Luca's list (which I hope to be involved in too), he has
> > already done a lot of work and put a lot of thought into emblems,
> > application icons, and preferences icons. We have some unfinished
> > html docs that I hope to post up here soon that summarise the
> > changes. After that(and some discussion) I hope to start gradually
> > merging his changes into the gnome-icon-theme module so that we don't
> > have to do it all at once some time in the future.
>
> I've some concerns about the emblems, particularly the fact that now
> (gnome 2.2) is not possibile to add personal emblems to these provided
> by default (at least I didn't found the dir where to put the images to
> accomplish this while in 2.0 it was easy)
>
> There are some ideas on this front? (I know that this is maybe the wrong
> place to ask this, but nevertheless I'm trying :)

Nautilus-list is the place for this, but I agree. This is what Alexl
said on the list a while back on the subject of emblems being moved from
nautilus to the icon theme in 2.2 :

Emblems were moved from nautilus themes to icon themes. The files were
renamed from keyword.png to emblem-keyword.png, but this translation is
done entierly in nautilus, so the metadata keywords are the same. The
only
thing that causes problem is if you installed custom emblems in
~/.nautilus/emblems. These are not read by the current nautilus 2.2 code
for two reasons:
1) we look for emblem-keyword.png
2) we look in the icon theme instead of ~/.nautilus/emblems

So, a script that copies ~/.nautilus/emblems/* to
~/.icons/gnome/48x48/emblems and adds "emblem-" to the filename should
fix this.

Unfortunately there is another problem with the whole custom emblem
thing.
If you use a theme that doesn't inherit from "gnome" the emblems in
~/.icons/gnome/48x48/emblems would not be picked up, and this is where
the custom emblem install in nautilus places them...

> As for icons, I think that it could be very useful to have a lot of
> other icons for the more commonly used (or diffused) file formats.
> Particularly I think that the major graphics programs proprietry file
> format icons must be provided (photoshop, illustrator, coreldraw, and so
> on)

Yeah, this sounds good - if you post to this list with the mime-type and
the type of file, and ask really nicely then maybe one of the resident
artists will come up with something.

--
Mark Finlay <sisob eircom net>