Re: Status on improving the icon theme

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 15:50, Francesco Marletta wrote:
> Il 12 Jun 2003 14:35:54 +0100
> Mark Finlay ha scritto:
>
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I hope by now that some people have joined this list, so I'm not
> > just sending this e-mail to no-one.
>
> I'm someone :)

You, here!  ;-P

> > As for Luca's list (which I hope to be involved in too), he has
> > already done a lot of work and put a lot of thought into emblems,
> > application icons, and preferences icons. We have some unfinished
> > html docs that I hope to post up here soon that summarise the
> > changes. After that(and some discussion) I hope to start gradually
> > merging his changes into the gnome-icon-theme module so that we don't
> > have to do it all at once some time in the future.
>
> I've some concerns about the emblems, particularly the fact that now
> (gnome 2.2) is not possibile to add personal emblems to these provided
> by default (at least I didn't found the dir where to put the images to
> accomplish this while in 2.0 it was easy)

drag and drop an image to Emblem side pane or Emblem dialog should work.
There should be an "Add new emblem" in dialog too.

Or did you mean add custom emblems don't for a single user but for all
them? (take a look at $(prefix)/icons/gnome/48x48/emblems )

> There are some ideas on this front? (I know that this is maybe the wrong
> place to ask this, but nevertheless I'm trying :)
>

> As for icons, I think that it could be very useful to have a lot of
> other icons for the more commonly used (or diffused) file formats.
> Particularly I think that the major graphics programs proprietry file
> format icons must be provided (photoshop, illustrator, coreldraw, and so
> on)

mmhhh this is a little anti-HIG

<quote>Do not include a file extension in the icon. The document icon's
job is not to convey such precise information but to allow for rapid
visual distinction between documents.</quote>

IMHO HIG said to distinguish a word processor file from an image, or a
PNG from an XCF, but this could be a misinterpretation from myself.

I mean: actually if I've a .doc or a .sxw file, I've to use OOo to open
them. Are there any reason to distinguish type from icon? I can read
filename, or invoke the properties dialog. Scrolling a folder /me needs
only to see that it's a document, don't a presentation or a spreadsheet.

Besides, probably we can build up a generic image icon and add a
"photoshop" emblem.