Re: New AsAppState / adding "copy to USB" to g-s

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:38 AM Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 at 18:47, treitter--- via gnome-software-list
<gnome-software-list gnome org> wrote:
> The current design is to add a "Copy to USB" button to each app page

Is Allan on-board with this? Is this the kind of thing we can put in
the newly re-homed app-menu hamburger thing? It doesn't seem the kind
of thing that's hugely important (sorry! :) enough to clutter up the
app details header with.

I haven't discussed with Allan yet but will before we try to merge upstream. We'll also need to get synchronized on the design for the USB installation process.

I'm open to whatever UI ultimately makes the most sense. I settled on the current design based mostly on UX and implementation simplicity. It's certainly possible some time spent in design thinking will come up with a better answer.

> I'm also planning to do an implementation of this for the Flatpak plugin.

If you do; use the wip/hughsie/FlatpakTransaction branch -- I'm just
polishing that up and then will merge next week. It's hugely simpler
to what's in master.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

> This would be similar to the way the AS_APP_STATE_INSTALLING value is used in g-s but it's obviously a different state.

I've also not added adding DOWNLOADING as it's just the "process" of
going from AVAILABLE -> INSTALLED -- really the app isn't changing
state, it's just being copied somewhere else -- it's not like the app
is being /moved/, right?

Right, it's being copied, not moved.

In GS, for this kind of transient behavior we use a different set of
enums called GsPluginStatus, e.g. DOWNLOADING, QUERYING, WAITING from
memory. I think COPYING would fit in there and with appropriate
translations added it should just DTRT in the UI.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed GsPluginStatus yet. That should work.

I agree this isn't strictly an app state; it's more of a (g-s, app) state for the sake of updating status UI and preventing this app from being removed while it's being copied.