Re: soc idea: gconf-gtk tools

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 19 mars 2009, à 13:42 +0000, Sam Thursfield a écrit :
>> The whole idea of dialog generation is to make it easy to make them
>> nicely formatted, which seems to involve the same pattern of hboxos
>> and vboxes and padding. Check out a random capplet and see how it's
>> formatted - that's quite hard to achieve in GLADE, which is why I
>> wanted them to be generated.
>
> If glade doesn't do the right thing for padding by default, then it's a
> glade bug. We shouldn't work-around that bug by creating another system
> :-)

You're right of course.

The 'status quo' for settings dialogs seems to have changed since I
first looked - now everyone has a vbox with the title, and then a hbox
where the intentation is created using a label with 4 spaces.  This
doesn't seem like a great way to do things - I wonder if it would be
nice to make the dialogs use a certain type of GtkFrame to give them a
consistent format for correct headings and consistent indentation.
This seems like the best way, and much nicer than having to create a
series of vboxes and hboxes and labels which must at preset give every
new GNOME developer a headache.

Sam