Re: [Telepathy] GSoC idea: Gnome Games + Telepathy Tube

Le jeudi 19 mars 2009 à 23:40 +0800, Zhang Sen a écrit :
> Hi lists!
>
> I already sent something similar to games-list (no reply yet), but since
> I have been reading about this project and got more clear, I would like
> to mail the three relevant lists, to ask for suggestions and talk with
> the developers and potential mentors.
>
> Basically, I want to make gnome-sudoku solvable by two players together.
> One can click on a 'play with your buddy' button and choose a buddy who
> is online. Then the two can collaborate on the puzzle. They can fill in
> the board at the same time, communicate about it and also finish the
> game at the same time.

Great idea!
Tubes integration in gnome-games is definitely a must have and a perfect
example of Telepathy integration in the GNOME desktop.

> For the technical part, sudoku is in python and telepathy-python may
> also be used, which should be clearer than C. I played with sudoku's
> code before and for the past two weeks I have been looking into
> telepathy. Now I roughly knows how telepathy tube works.

Yes, if the sudoku game is written in python, telepathy-python is the
way to go.

> I think most of the work will be to add network support to sudoku. The
> telepathy part also needs efforts though, since we don't have much
> documentation for telepathy. (Of course, that's why there are mentors :)

The telepathy-doc recently receive lot of love, see
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-doc.git;a=summary

A start of D-Bus tube tutorial has also be started
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/DTube%20Tutorial

> There is some things I can learn from to accomplish the project. For
> example, several of gnome-games already have network support, which
> serves as good examples to show how to change a game into a networking
> one. And there are several applications which make use of telepathy,
> e.g. a patched GTetrinet and TicTacTube. They illustrates how can I use
> telepathy tube.

See also pyhalebarde which starts to implement network using a 1-1 D-Bus
tube:
https://launchpad.net/pyhalebarde

> I also think about taking the other games as the gsoc project. The ones
> already with network surely need less modification. Working on Iagno or
> others can also be interesting. But since I am already familiar with
> sudoku code and I prefer python, sudoku would be more better. So what's
> your opinion or this?

Having some plan for a complete tubes integration in gnome-games would
be really good.
For example which kind of tube should be used (D-Bus or stream)? I guess
for games already having network support stream tubes should be
preferred (but I don't really know how that works regarding ggz etc).
Not sure for the other games (as Sudoku). That's something that should
be investigated.

> I am only stating what's in my mind and now it's far from an
> application. So I welcome any comment from the community :)

Good luck with your project. :)

	G.