Rhythmbox Predictive Playback - Weekly Report

I like how people are doing a single thread for all their reports, so
I'm going to start doing the same.  Wish I'd thought of it last
week...

My week began fairly well - I had given myself a deadline of Friday to
choose an audio processing library, but after building sample
applications and messing around with a few, I decided on Tuesday that
I really liked Marsyas.  Not only is Marsyas a library specifically
aimed at audio analysis applications, it also has some python
bindings, which means I might be able to do everything within a python
plugin, provided it's fast enough.  At the very least, I can build and
test algorithms in python, and if I need a speed increase, re-create
it in C++.

Coding became a little bit more difficult on Wednesday morning when my
CPU overheated and refused to fire up again.  Now, I could have gone
and found a used P4 for sale somewhere, but then I would have had to
wait for shipping and all... and besides, it seemed like fate - I
bought the computer in September 2003 when I began my undergrad, and
it died just over a month after I graduated.  In any case, I live
right down the street from (IMO) the best computer shop in Canada
(canadacomputers.com!), so I spec'd out a new system, whipped out my
shiny new google mastercard, and spent the day on Thursday building,
installing, and setting up a new computer.

On Friday I managed to get some more work done on my project (four
times faster!) - I learned a little about how to use SWIG, and I added
bindings to some datatypes of Marsyas that were missing.  The Marsyas
devs have been very helpful thus far and I'm glad that I can
contribute a little back to them as I work on my project.

Cheers,

Charlotte