Re: Rhythmbox Predictive Playback - Weekly Report

Week Three was quite productive for me.  I implemented a feature
extraction algorithm using Marsyas that was very successful at last
years' music information retrieval competition.  I did switch from
Python to C++, as I saw a significant speed increase, even when
calling executables from Python code.  I had a minor setback on Friday
when I managed to overwrite my source code, but it turned out to be
not a big deal to re-write, as I had learned how the system works.

This week I will work on optimizing the code for speed.  At present, I
am extracting features for the entire song (most researchers use a
30-second segment), and on my Q6600 the process takes about 4.4
seconds per song.  My old P4 was about 2.2 times slower (based on a
test that was timed prior to old computer death and repeated on the
new computer), so I cannot expect that people will want to spend 10
seconds or more per song extracting features.  My goal is 2 seconds
(on a moderate processor, tested on my 1.1 Ghz Pentium M), and if I
can get less than that I will be happy.

That's about it for this week,

Charlotte