RE: gnome-3.16.x without systemd

-----Original Message-----
From: gnome-shell-list [mailto:gnome-shell-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Olaf Leidinger
Sent: Wednesday, 20 May, 2015 13:01
To: gnome-shell-list gnome org
Subject: Re: gnome-3.16.x without systemd

2. systemd-shim (limited support for some of the systemd apis) -
development halted

systemd-shim is not an reimplementation of logind, its a wrapper to allow
the use of systemd logind and a few other
components without requiring systemd init. It certainly provides enough
for a full GNOME support up to 3.14 and
probably 3.16, we were using it in Ubuntu GNOME up until the recent switch
to systemd init, and it worked well.

I don't know where you heard development is halted, Canonical will need to
keep maintaining it so long as they still have
upstart in the archives.

I based the comment on the fact that the last commit to
https://github.com/desrt/systemd-shim was Dec-14, but maybe Ubuntu uses a
different git repo?

That notwithstanding, I'm trying to make 3.16.x work and the only way
forward would seem to be to debug the "gnome-shell.desktop failed to
register" error, hence the request for help :)

Regards
John