Re: Bugs

hi;

On 17 January 2014 13:08, Marshall Neill <ramien43 windstream net> wrote:
I have a feeling this will upset the developers but I believe it has to be
said.,

if you start from this, you probably should re-evaluate sending your
email in the first place.

well, too late, now.

I recently read that there are 46,000 bugs in Gnome 3.

no, there are 46,000 tickets open (excluding requests for
enhancements) in the *whole* GNOME Bugzilla as for 2013:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2014-January/msg00062.html

that contains actual bugs, as well as untriaged issues that may be
resolved as duplicates, obsolete issues, invalid issues, requests for
enhancement, or actual bugs.

I do suggest you read that email I linked, and if you have questions
on the statistics for the bug tracking system you should ask the bug
squad.

Now I would think logic would dictate that you fix bugs instead of
implementing new features.

that's not how it works in software development (or life in general),
and especially that's not how it works in volunteer-driven software
projects.

volunteer time is not fungible: you cannot swap out people or effort
among different tasks. also, you cannot dictate what people should
work on, because that rarely ends well.

Seems like the developers are more interested in change than fixing what is
broken.

that's a radical interpretation of the text, if I ever saw one. you
should look at the statistics for bugs reported and closed.

If that logic was applied to automobiles I believe public outcry would
demand that the vehicles be fixed first.

this is a logical fallacy: software is not a car.

Now, new features that no one really asked for are implemented and the bugs
keep piling up and extensions that worked, don't, themes that worked, don't.
Well, enough of my rant.  I think you can see where I am coming from.

I do see where you're coming from, but neither the premise nor the
conclusion are correct.

also, it most definitely does not relate to the development of the
gnome-shell project. you probably wanted to use desktop-devel-list
instead.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--