Re: Bugs

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 07:08 -0600, Marshall Neill wrote:
I have a feeling this will upset the developers but I believe it has to
be said.,
I recently read that there are 46,000 bugs in Gnome 3.
Now I would think logic would dictate that you fix bugs instead of
implementing new features.

You misunderstand the concept of "bug".

Seems like the developers are more interested in change than fixing what
is broken.

Sometimes change fixes what is broken.  Sometimes what is broken is not
verified to be broken.  Sometimes something that is broken gets reported
multiple times.  Sometimes what is broken only effects the most exotic
use cases.  Sometimes what is broken is not a breakage but a request for
something to be different.  All these account for "bugs".

If that logic was applied to automobiles I believe public outcry would
demand that the vehicles be fixed first.

Really??? Driven in any major city recently.  The Automobile is broken
in many many ways.

Now, new features that no one really asked for are implemented and the
bugs keep piling up and extensions that worked, don't, themes that
worked, don't.

Many of those things are maintained individually.  If the maintainer no
longer maintains it remains broken.  What if you buy a software package
from a company any that company decides that package is end-of-life ...
no more fixes for you.  Only in this case you paid nothing, and you have
the source - so you can fix it yourself, find the project a new
maintainer, or pay to have it fixed.

Well, enough of my rant.  I think you can see where I am coming from.

A misunderstanding of the concept of "bug"?

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383