Re: web page with instructions ... [gsettings/dconf/profiles]

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 12:29 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On 4 September 2012 12:21, Adam  Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
> >> Because not everything can be a standard feature - these standard
> >> features would collide.   And, I don't have to install anything to get
> >> these features, so they are supported out-of-the-box.   Desktop icons
> >> (nautilus on the desktop) is just a gsetting.
> > sorry, muscle memory kicked in.  It isn't gsettings, it is now dconf.
> dconf is just a gsettings backend - you're not meant to use it directly.
> > dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/background/show-desktop-icons  true
> don't do that. use the gsettings command:
>   gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true
> it even has tab completion, just in case.

Excellent,  I've been advised both ways in the past, so that is good to
know.

> > It is very simple to create a script that uses dconf to create the
> > environment you want.  Then you can run that in any gnome-shell session
> > and get your preferences.
> again, don't. use the correct way to create overrides:
>   https://live.gnome.org/dconf/SystemAdministrators

Yes, I've used lockdown as an administrator.  But I don't know if
profiles are really useful for the end user - they are very confusing to
setup, and there is zero documentation.  How does one choose a profile?

But from an administrator's persepctive the profiles / key-files are
pretty slick.  Almost like GPOs.