Re: web page with instructions for getting 'gnome 2' experience back

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 11:30 -0700, Bob Frazier wrote:
> On 08/07/12 05:10, Diego Fernandez so wittily quipped:
> > Hmm... Most of this has been covered countless times.  I read your
> > page, and to tell you the truth I didn't find much useful information.
> it's not HOW MUCH information, but rather "putting it all in one place".
> I spent too much FRUSTRATING time when I installed Ubuntu 11.10 for a
> particular customer project, trying to figure out HOW TO USE SOMETHING
> that should have been intuitively obvious (but was not).

Ubuntu doesn't use GNOME3, at least not on anything like a default
install.

> problems).  By putting the CRITICAL information in ONE PLACE, people
> like me SHOULD be able to resolve this fast.

Then all someone has to do is make that document.

> hardware support from the new version of XX" (or similar).  Linus
> Torvalds talked about updating his RH version to correct issues with X11
> in one of the links on my site, and his FRUSTRATION with the fact that
> the update included gnome 3.

Ah, playing "the Linus card".  This will soon become a legendary part of
heated threads.  Personally I don't much care about Linus' opinions on
the desktop;  most of the time I think he is simply wrong.   I respect
him on issues concerning the kernel.

> > You could look at the multiple extensions at extensions.gnome.org, you
> > can get a panel and all sorts of other goodies from there.  Getting
> > icons on desktop is easy, install gnome-tweak-tool.
> All of that TAKES PERSONAL TIME on the part of EVERYONE ELSE.

Uh, yes.

>  Why can't these things be included as STANDARD FEATURES?  Why?

Because not everything can be a standard feature - these standard
features would collide.   And, I don't have to install anything to get
these features, so they are supported out-of-the-box.   Desktop icons
(nautilus on the desktop) is just a gsetting.

>  If enough people
> WANT them, it's only BETTER if these features were on a standard
> settings dialog box.  Maybe a single checkbox under system settings that
> says "classic look", or a theme, or similar.

But distributions (a) may offer this if they choose and (b) GNOME
Fallback *is* a presented greeter option on some distributions [I can
pick fallback on openSUSE, depending on how GDM is configured].

>   That's all it would take.
>   End of frustration.  Simple, right?  No more hours of searching to
> figure out what you MIGHT need to fix these problems.  Or, BETTER STILL,
> an FAQ DOCUMENTATION PAGE with a link that has the same stuff my page
> has, plus all of YOUR experiences with the extensions and so on, as "hey
> this is how you do it'.  That would make MORE sense, don't you think?
> Documentation, after all, is a GOOD thing.  I haven't found any that
> tells me everything I need, without going to zillions of dead-end google
> search results to find "that one", and only a piece of what I need at that.

If you ask a specific question perhaps someone here can help;  less
anger/rant, just ask a question.  In general I always tell people:
google is not your friend, it is just an enormous time sink.  Go to an
appropriate forum and ask a specific question.