Re: web page with instructions ... [Enabling Icons on the desktop via dconf CLI]

hi;

On 4 September 2012 12:21, Adam  Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 07:13 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 11:30 -0700, Bob Frazier wrote:
>> > On 08/07/12 05:10, Diego Fernandez so wittily quipped:
>> Because not everything can be a standard feature - these standard
>> features would collide.   And, I don't have to install anything to get
>> these features, so they are supported out-of-the-box.   Desktop icons
>> (nautilus on the desktop) is just a gsetting.
>
> sorry, muscle memory kicked in.  It isn't gsettings, it is now dconf.

dconf is just a gsettings backend - you're not meant to use it directly.

> dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/background/show-desktop-icons  true

don't do that. use the gsettings command:

  gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true

it even has tab completion, just in case.

> It is very simple to create a script that uses dconf to create the
> environment you want.  Then you can run that in any gnome-shell session
> and get your preferences.

again, don't. use the correct way to create overrides:

  https://live.gnome.org/dconf/SystemAdministrators

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--