Re: source.unseenCount's strange behavior

2012/10/14 Thiago Bellini Ribeiro <hackedbellini gmail com>:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Giovanni Campagna
> <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
>> 2012/10/9 Thiago Bellini Ribeiro <hackedbellini gmail com>:
>>>
>>> I would like to create a patch for this. Actually, I would love to
>>> start contributing code to gnome, but I'm having a hard time with
>>> jhbuild.
>>>
>>> I'm on Debian Testing and trying to run "jhbuild build gnome-shell"
>>> always ends in a lot of dependency problems, since packages there tend
>>> to be older than needed to build (specially on freeze). Even at the
>>> beginning of 3.6's development, I never got gnome-shell to build.
>>>
>>> What should I do? I mean, what can I do to setup a working environment
>>> for coding/testing/etc gnome's apps that works on Debian?
>>
>> If you're using the official modulesets, jhbuild sysdeps should
>> install the necessary system packages (that are supposedly good enough
>> on all modern distros), while everything else is built from scratch.
>> Nothing should fail anymore for 3.6, although for core development you
>> may want to switch to 3.8. Try jhbuild build --ignore-suggests
>> gnome-shell, to skip anything you don't need.
>> We don't have (yet) a SDK or anything like that for building
>> applications, and in any case I don't think it would be inclusive
>> enough for shell hacking.
>
> Great! Will try that!
>
> Just a little doubt: Taking a look at [1], it's not very clear that
> those packages will be installed at my system or just for jhbuild (at
> /opt/gnome).
> I imagine that it's not going to install anything in my system,
> possibly breaking other packages..am I right?

jhbuild sysdeps will fetch system dependencies from the normal
distribution channels (i.e. apt-get under debian), so the installation
will be in /usr and you will be asked for root's password. For some
system dependencies, if not found in the repositories it will download
and build an upstream tarball (in which case the resulting binaries
will be in /opt/gnome )

Giovanni