Re: Suggestions for better workspaces as independant tasks

Julien Olivier <julo42 gmail com> writes:

>> there is no programmatic way for an application to describe whether
>> it's going to open a new window, a new tab, or create a new process,
>> or what its default is.
>
> If the application wants to have only one window, it should use
> something like LibUnique ( http://live.gnome.org/LibUnique ). AFAIK,
> Rhythmbox already works this way for example. If it doesn't, then it's
> the user's choice whether he wants to open a new window or not.

Well, apps /should/ use something like LibUnique, but right now, some
don't.  Calling skype twice will try to create two instances, the first
succeeds and the second errors.  And I'm pretty sure there are more such
apps.

>> plus, gnome-terminal is, strictly speaking, a single instance
>> application. whenever you execute 'gnome-terminal', the currently
>> running process (if any) will be contacted, and a new window or tab
>> will be created. you actually have to use a specific command line
>> incantation to get it to create a new process.
>
> That's not how it works on my PC: launching gnome-terminal twice
> consecutively opens two terminals.

Hm, just "gnome-terminal" seems to create a new instance (own PID).  And
killing (kill -KILL <pid>) doesn't kill all instances.  However, those
don't have a pseudo-terminal slave assigned, i.e., "ps a" won't show
them.  Doing "gnome-terminal --disable-factory" creates a new instance
with pseudo-terminal slave...

Bye,
Tassilo