Re: web page with instructions for getting 'gnome 2' experience back

On 08/07/12 05:10, Diego Fernandez so wittily quipped:
Hmm... Most of this has been covered countless times.  I read your
page, and to tell you the truth I didn't find much useful information.

it's not HOW MUCH information, but rather "putting it all in one place". I spent too much FRUSTRATING time when I installed Ubuntu 11.10 for a particular customer project, trying to figure out HOW TO USE SOMETHING that should have been intuitively obvious (but was not). I had to come up with the right magick google search terms and check MANY places (usually blog sites and mailing list archives with unresolved similar problems). By putting the CRITICAL information in ONE PLACE, people like me SHOULD be able to resolve this fast. By letting YOU guys know about it, YOU should be able to put a "magic setting" button someplace to HELP PEOPLE GET PAST THIS QUICKLY. Perhaps the 'hint' is that there ARE frustrated users who don't like gnome 3 PRIMARILY because of "Oh, CRAP now I have to RE-LEARN what I was once an EXPERT on" and "I don't have the necessary hours to waste re-doing this simply so I can get hardware support from the new version of XX" (or similar). Linus Torvalds talked about updating his RH version to correct issues with X11 in one of the links on my site, and his FRUSTRATION with the fact that the update included gnome 3. But I must say that from what I read a year ago, there HAVE been improvements, like the minimize and maximize buttons - or was that simply what Debian did to correct THAT deficiency?

You could look at the multiple extensions at extensions.gnome.org, you
can get a panel and all sorts of other goodies from there.  Getting
icons on desktop is easy, install gnome-tweak-tool.

All of that TAKES PERSONAL TIME on the part of EVERYONE ELSE. Why can't these things be included as STANDARD FEATURES? Why? If enough people WANT them, it's only BETTER if these features were on a standard settings dialog box. Maybe a single checkbox under system settings that says "classic look", or a theme, or similar. That's all it would take. End of frustration. Simple, right? No more hours of searching to figure out what you MIGHT need to fix these problems. Or, BETTER STILL, an FAQ DOCUMENTATION PAGE with a link that has the same stuff my page has, plus all of YOUR experiences with the extensions and so on, as "hey this is how you do it'. That would make MORE sense, don't you think? Documentation, after all, is a GOOD thing. I haven't found any that tells me everything I need, without going to zillions of dead-end google search results to find "that one", and only a piece of what I need at that.