Re: The good, the bad, the insane

The only real cultural mismatch I think exists here is what the right
response is to do if the user gets confused by a menu that says:

 Suspend
 Hibernate
 Power Off
 Restart

Is the right thing to do to provide training for the user, or is the
right thing to do to improve the user interface? I'm strongly of the
opinion that we should improve the user interface.

- Owen

[ I'll try to find time to write up some comprehensive, far too long
  response that goes in detail into design considerations, environmental
  consideration, etc. But for now, let me say that this discussion
  stopped being productive several months ago. We'll revisit the
  power-off situation at some point before 3.2, but thousands of
  pages of mailing list discussion rehashing the same points isn't going
  to be taken into account at that point. This also applies to repeated
  comments on Bugzilla bugs rehashing the same points. If someone brings
  up the subject on this list, please just say "Yes, this has been
  discussed a lot, here's the bugzilla #, also see the list archives" ]