Re: OSX =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Expos=E9=2C_compiz_scale_windows_?= =?ISO-8859-2?Q?picker_question?=

On 05/11/2011 03:31 PM, Ryan Peters wrote:
On 05/11/2011 08:08 AM, Milan Oravec wrote:
On 05/11/2011 02:42 PM, Ryan Peters wrote:
You could try Alt+Tab and using the mouse to navigate. You can navigate
the Alt+Tab pop-up with Alt+[Shift+]Tab, Alt+[Shift+][above tab], the
arrow keys, and the mouse itself, which is a nice touch. Granted, it's
not quite as fast as what you describe (and I know from experience), but
it's just fast enough to work. What you describe could possibly be made
into an extension.

Hmmm... I know about possibilities you mentioned above (i'm testing
gnome-shell almost one year, building from git) but it is so
unpractical grab to keyboard and make 3 key press every time I need to
switch form browser to Thunderbird etc. :( It degrades 50% of
usability for me and every one who is using this capability on non
gnome3 system.
You could switch workspaces with Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down, which could solve
part of your problem. Also, Alt+Tab is mouse and keyboard navigable as I
said, so you can just click the window you want (as in, press Alt+Tab
and use your mouse). This includes every window open, but as I said it's
not quite ideal.

Switching between workspaces is assigned to shortcut: ctrl+number of workspace on my systems.

:) using both hands (keyboard+mouse) to switch between apps. is indeed not ideal!

As of right now, all shortcuts in System Settings must be set for the
Keyboard, so no. Also, I think there's some applications that already
use middle-click (Firefox, some games are all I can think of), so
setting this to middle-click would cause problems. If It's an extension
like you said above, and it if was "middle click on the desktop" instead
of just a regular middle click, then I don't see why not.

And this is wrong! I've hoped in Gnome 3 would be this cleared, like
in OS X! Why can have one application control over system wide setting
as mouse button assignig?! It must be system setting and user
decision. This is very very bad.
If you think this should be a main feature, then file a bug on
bugzilla.gnome.org about it. As I said, what you're looking for could be
implemented as an extension somehow, and for examples you can look at
gnome-shell-extensions on git.gnome.org. There are a lot of people that
come into this mailing list asking for this feature; I'm sure somebody
will make an extension for it sometime :).

First I'm asking here if it is not planed or just in progress, and not making obsolete bug report.

I'm running some extensions already and I'm glad to see that number of extensions and keen people that help make Gnome3 usable for almost everyone.

I can live without such a things like wobbly windows, desktop effect (for now :) etc. I can get used on new design and concept, but it must have no shortcomings for my work habits and doesn't compromise my productivity and work-flow.

Shouldn't be this feature part of Gnome3?