RE: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

> Subject: Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.
> From: dvlasenk redhat com
> To: awilliam redhat com
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 19:47:47 +0200
> CC: gnome-shell-list gnome org

> > > What does it tell to a developer when he sees the same complaint
> > > coming up again and again?
> >
> > That negative reaction to change is common.
>
> To a needless change - sure.
> A few examples I recently saw.
>
> Mignight Commander changed the order
> of the "Save? [Yes] [No] [Continue editing]" buttons
> in the editor exit dialog.
> One my colleague was bitching like a sailor after he lost
> his 20th edit - because his hands remember that
> but now this sequence does "exit WITHOUT saving"!
>
> New Firefox's right click menu order changed from
> (1) Open in new Window
> (2) Open in new Tab
> to the opposite one - I am opening new windows
> instead of new tabs for the third day in a row.
> WTF?! Why was it changed? For what purpose?

I don't know about midnight commander, but I do know the reasoning for Firefox. It was seen that more users open links in new tabs instead of new windows, much like yourself. Therefore Open in new Tab was put first to reduce mouse movement and make the more common action quicker.