Re: Instant Message notifications

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com> wrote:
Jasper,

This is indeed what we're trying to do... see the long thread that davidz started about "GOA"

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-April/msg00107.html

That's very, very interesting. One thing caught my eye, though:

This daemon/library thing, let's call it GOA (Gnome Online Accounts),
would _not_ be a mechanism to access any of these services. But it
would provide e.g. libsocialweb, telepathy, e-d-s and so on with
either the username/password combo or the OAuth token, whatever is
appropriate.

Does that mean that in order to get, e.g. IM notifications, the user would still have to open Empathy? Because not needing to keep it open was one of the main points of my proposal.

I believe the Idea that Jasper mentioned at the top of the thread is that Empathy disappears in favor of the shell.  So the thread above there is all about contacts and roster.  Once they start getting supported directly in the shell, you don't really need empathy anymore.

The only thing that would be problematic is that a lot of people use pidgin for instance to get access to microsoft communicator and messaging..  or they use it for IRC/SILC.. in which case i'm not quite sure how other IM clients will be allowed to work with shell without some code surgery on the code base for pidgin to use new APIs.

Telepathy is based on independent moving parts that do the dirty work of connecting to MSN, or to AIM, or to Google Talk. One of these parts is "telepathy-haze" and hooks up libpurple to telepathy, which effectively means that anything Pidgin can support is supposed in Telepathy.

sri