Re: Unity feature I'd like to see in Gnome-Shell

On 2011-05-02 at 21:08, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 01:10:58PM -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
> > Yes, it's on the roadmap. Application-level actions, like New Window, Open
> > File, Help, and Quit will be added to the menu that drops down from the
> > application icon. This will be enabled by a new API in GTK+, directly, so
> > that applications can optionally choose to use it without having to remove
> > their existing menu systems.
>
> Do you mean those jump lists with this?

no, the Application menu as designed in this:

  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/AppMenu

having an application menu depends on the action API of GtkApplication
being finished.

jumplists are for items in the dash, and they should not rely on the
application actually running.

> Forgot the specifics, so wondering: would it be separate or duplicate
> the menus? Could it be configured to show the menu?

the Application menu would contain only items that affect the
application as a whole, regardless of the current window being focused;
the window menu would only contain window-specific elements.

in general, though, the design team is looking at ways to get rid of
menus altogether wherever possible.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--