Re: Feedback

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 10:28 +0800, Allan E. Registos wrote:

> >If I'm powering off it's because I'm unplugging the computer. If I'm
> rebooting it's to update to the new kernel. The, what I that was a
> lack, of >other options was annoying.
>
> This is one of the reasons why the GNOME Shell was being accused of
> being "designed by software developers for software developers." End
> users should have options available.

That really doesn't make any sense unless you believe that software
developers never update kernels, which is pretty clearly not the case.
The design discussions specifically highlighted cases where powering off
does make sense; the case where an update requires a reboot is intended
to be handled through the package update system, which makes sense. The
case where you are rebooting to a different operating system was also
considered and acknowledged as something that should be handled, AIUI,
but an acceptable design hasn't yet been implemented.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey