Re: Feedback

On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 20:49 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Allan E. Registos
> <allan registos smpc steniel com ph> wrote:
>         On Saturday, 30 April, 2011 09:40 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
>         wrote:
>         >         ====== Suspend instead of Shutdown ======
>         >
>         >         Surely this has been discussed extensively, I just
>         >         want to mention that suspend simply does not work
>         >         for me (tested on two computers, both do not wake up
>         >         correctly).
>         I guess they do not want to listen as I recall.
>
> Well, I wouldn't say that.. I'm sure there at least in Fedora that the
> distros will be trying to get suspend working.  Suspend has to work.
> It needs to be exactly like the Mac.  My wife for instances, always
> closes, she never shuts down her laptop.  The same can be said of both
> desktop and laptop.
>

> It is a matter of getting distros to fix it.  Personally, gnome 3 is
> about pushing distros to start fixing as much of this stuff as
> possible.

It's easy to say this, but doing it is a different matter. It's an old
saw, but it's true: Apple has control of the hardware. I suspect if you
go out and look at people who use Hackintoshes (that's non-Apple
hardware with OS X installed on it) and ask for how many suspend works
perfectly, you might get a different story.

Distros can certainly try to improve suspend support, but it's
inherently a very tricky area and there are not, currently, many
engineers who work on it. If GNOME is really going to stick to this so
hard, GNOME might want to take a more active role in the diplomacy
required to get distro backers and other entities with a stake in kernel
development to focus on improving suspend support. *Especially* for
desktops; suspend is more problematic on desktops because it's been
considered pretty unimportant by almost everyone up till now, while
everyone agrees at least in principle that we ought to have suspend
working on all laptops.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey